DOLPHIN Proteus DX4 Review (Our Top Pros & Cons)
At first glance, the Dolphin Proteus DX4 Review looks like it can do no wrong. It’s ideal for pools up to 50 feet, can climb vertical surfaces with ease, provides intense scrubbing and is 8 times more energy efficient than your average pressure and suction pool cleaners.
To top it all, Dolphin (Maytronics) has been in the game for over three and a half decades now and there’s definitely an element of mental peace when a person chooses one of their products. The Proteus DX4 then, seems near perfect on paper. But how does it fare in the real world? Read on to find out.
Dolphin Proteus DX4 Features:
1) Lightweight & Ergonomic Design: The unit is light enough and can be lifted with just one hand. It has an ergonomic carry handle. It looks like a smart little tank with its treads that make light work of walls and provide superior vertical and waterline cleaning. The basket loads from the top, which makes it easy to access and clean.
2) Easy To Operate: Simply plug the cleaner in and hit play! There’s no complicated settings to contend with. Everything is very straightforward and intuitive. There’s also a weekly timer that enables you to select how often you want to clean the pool (depending upon usage). There are 3 settings to choose from – daily, alternate day and every third day. Just set it and forget it! It’s great to be able to schedule everything beforehand and to know that the pool will always be sparkling clean and ready for entertaining.
3) Extremely Efficient: We all know how tricky and cumbersome pool cleaning contracts can be. This Dolphin may seem a little expensive in the beginning but it’s indeed a quality, tested product that makes a whole lot of sense in the long run. It costs just 5 cents per hour to run. With a standard cycle of 2 hours, this amounts to just a meagre 10 cents per clean. Even if you clean the pool everyday, you can do it for less than a dollar per week! That’s just phenomenal energy efficiency – impossible to debate that.
4) PowerStream Mobility Handle: Why are some vehicles such as the Range Rover so good off-road? Well, they have a four wheel drive system, which means that the engine delivers power to all the four wheels (usually, cars are either front or rear wheel drive). Not only this, but thanks to a good bit of technical wizardry, the computer actually detects which wheel has the most traction and sends more power to it. This ensures that the vehicle almost NEVER gets stuck.
The Proteus DX4 does something similar. While most pool cleaners have a single directional water flow, the DX4 has multi-directional flow. This means that it has sufficient and constant grip on all surfaces, even walls! No matter the angle at which the cleaner is situated at, it doesn’t run out of power. The result – exceptional wall and waterline cleaning and improved navigation.
5) Fine and Ultra Fine Filtration: The pool cleaner is equipped with two filters and this enables it to tackle everything from leaves and twigs to dirt, algae and other debris. The filters snap apart and this makes it convenient to clean them.
6) Patented Swivel Cable: The 60 foot swivel cable with patented anti-tangle technology ensures smooth and uninterrupted cleaning. Some pool cleaners have a tendency to get stuck as the cable gets all tangled up (their swivel systems are not 100% reliable). This causes the unit to go round in circles or to just hover around a small area. Honestly, it is such a pain to resolve a knotted cable. Often, you have to pull the entire thing out of the water, set everything right and then start the cycle all over again. This is such a colossal waste of time, energy and money! A pool cleaner is meant to provide peace of mind, not to make the user anxious regarding whether the cable is knotted or not.
7) Active Brushing System: Powerful brushes get rid of even the most stubborn debris. Often, it can be noticed that pool cleaners do a superficial job. Yes, they get rid of some of the dirt and debris but struggle to do corners, walls and other tricky areas. They splutter upon encountering bigger leaves and fail miserably over steps. The Dolphin Proteus DX4 is in a league on its own – it has ample power and traction at all times. It has a superb navigation system and the vigorous Active Brushing mechanism ensures a sparkling clean pool, every time.
8) Precision Navigation: During the first 20 minutes of a cycle, the smart scanning system maps out the most efficient route for complete and thorough cleaning. Cleans the floor, walls and waterline with zeal and enthusiasm.
Check out this Video to learn more & see it in action!
- The Pros
- the cons
- Works in in-ground pools up to 50 feet in length. Can handle a variety of surfaces such as concrete, plaster, fiberglass, vinyl.
- The product comes with a two year warranty. Maytronics/Dolphin is an established brand and it’s usually hard to go wrong with their products.
- No additional pipes and cables required. Just place it in the pool, connect to a power supply and press play.
- Even the best of pool cleaners really struggle with walls – the Dolphin Proteus DX4 cleans them too and does it very well
- Doesn’t get tangled up
- Very cheap to run
- Easy to clean. Basket is accessible from the top.
- Just schedule cleaning cycles beforehand and 90% of pool maintenance is taken care of!
- Not exactly a budget pool cleaner. A bit pricey but then, good performance always comes at a cost
- Not suitable for above ground pools. Manufacturer recommends only in-ground types.
As we have been saying throughout the article, it’s hard to go wrong with a Dolphin product.
The Dolphin Proteus DX4 is a smart and efficient cleaner for private pools up to 50 feet. The fact that it can climb walls with ease helps it to earn a lot of brownie points.
You may find an occasional negative review online but Dolphin’s after sales service is pretty responsive and small niggles can be sorted out quickly and easily.
We think that the Dolphin Proteus DX4 is a reliable pool cleaner - it provides a comprehensive clean and has hassle-free operation.
Our Recommendation: Pick it up here, we know that you'll love it!
If you're still not sure of this one, feel free to check out the Dolphin Nautilius Plus, as it's not only our favorite dolphin, but one of our favorite models, period.