You’re no doubt here because you’re looking for a Polaris 280 Review. Well you’re in the right place, because In this article we’re going to take a detailed look at just that!
For those who don’t know, or are new to having their own swimming pool, The 280 is a pressure-side robotic pool cleaner that is suitable for all types of in-ground pools.
Unlike the Polaris 360, which operates independently, the 280 needs an additional booster pump.
While this is an inconvenience, the upside is increased power and a fast cleaning cycle. This is one of more popular pool cleaners on the market – it is fully automatic and most importantly, it has a very good wall climbing ability.
Seriously, this is an AMAZING pool cleaner, and if you want to know right now – YES we highly recommend this model. Read on for more..
You’ll probably want to know that Polaris is actually owned by Zodiac – a pioneer in pool cleaning technology. Zodiac has been around for more than a century!
The company has continued to thrive because it delivers reliable products at affordable prices. So if you do choose to buy it, you’ll have total peace of mind knowing that it comes with the Zodiac’s legendary assurance of quality.
Polaris 280 Features:
1) The full name of this pool cleaner is Polaris Vac-Sweep 280. That because it vacuums and sweeps dirt, algae, pebbles, acorns, leaves etc. However, vacuuming and sweeping are only a part of the story; it’s highly powerful and it’s tail lashes with fierce intensity. It can scrub where other bots cannot go (tight corners).
2) The bot is powered by 2 jets – this results in a fast yet efficient cycle. It cleans a swimming pool in 3 hours or less. This is not exactly a short time. However, you have to take into account that in-ground pools are usually large – much larger than above ground pools. Also, the level of cleanliness is quite stupendous.
3) It can handle any type of in-ground pool, irrespective of its shape and size. The standard hose length is a bit short – only 31 feet. However, you can buy additional hoses if you have a bigger swimming pool.
4) One of the main highlights of the lineup is their intelligent and practical design. It has a single chamber filter bag that weeds out large sized debris such as leaves, pebbles etc. and prevents them from getting to the main filter and pump basket. This simple step increases filter and product life significantly. There have been many instances wherein these pool cleaners have lasted for more than a decade. (They were regularly serviced and properly maintained)
5) The back up valve prevents the device from getting stuck in one place for a long time. Such a simple solution to a problem that drives pool cleaner owners nuts. In other more complex systems, the bots get stuck despite having sophisticated scanning systems. However, they have solved the issue with a simple activation of the back-up valve.
6) The wheels have good grip and work in conjuction with the dual jets to ensure that it can climbs with ease. This is a crucial factor for pool cleaner buyers. Surely, you don’t look forward to scrubbing the walls yourself do you? Especially at the deep end with your head under water.
7) It can handle all surfaces such as concrete, vinyl, tiles and so on. It does not leave any scour marks on surfaces.
1) Just like all other pool cleaners in the family, it’s very well built. They provide a warranty against manufacturing defects.
2) After sales customer service is very strong. It’s is a popular brand and availability of parts is usually not an issue. Even though the bots do a phenomenal cleaning job, they are actually based on a simple patented design. Hence, they can repaired at the dealer level.
3) Once you set it up, it is actually fairly easy to operate and live with.
4) Functions independently. You do not need to supervise the operation all throughout the cycle. Many bots gets stuck and you have to reset the cycle several times before getting the pool to look moderately clean. This can be very frustrating. However, the back up valve feature ensures that it operates smoothly. The pool will be clean and clear when you return at the end of cycle.
5) Reasonably priced pool cleaner. You get a clean that is almost equivalent to top end robots at a fraction of the price.
6) The bot is available in black – this suits dark bottomed pools and gives buyers more of a color choice.
1) The biggest drawback is that you need to install a booster pump and make alterations to your plumbing system. This can be expensive and time consuming. Many people who are not tech-savvy will not feel confident in buying it for fear of something going wrong and the pumps not being compatible with the system.
However, if you have experience with a booster pump, then it makes a great choice. There are plenty of videos online that explain how to set it up, installation of pumps, maintenance etc.
How to Install a Pressure Pool Cleaner
2) This is not exactly an energy efficient system. The booster pump makes it fast and powerful but it consumes a fair bit of power.
It has 4.5 stars on Amazon and we can see why.
Some customers have reported having previous Polaris Models for over 15 years with only minor repairs and replacement parts. When comparing it to the previous 15 year old version, the customer said “this version is twice as good”.
Another customer stated that they’d have 3 Polaris 380’s over the last 20 years, and they’re simple, repairable, durable and effective pool cleaners that last a good 10 years with only minor maintenance.
One Final Thing, if you’re a NEW user, we highly suggest you pick up a spair foam tail tip, and debris bags.
Needless to say, it’s a solid Pool Cleaner, just make sure you already have a booster pump or don’t mind getting one.
Otherwise check out the Polaris 360, which is equally awesome!